Cocoa, almond and hazelnut cake
Serves 10-12 people
- 250g coconut sugar
- 180g wheat flour
- 120g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. fine salt
- 4 eggs size L
- 160ml virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. instant coffee powder mixed with 300ml hot water
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Almond Butter Filling and Hazelnut Topping
- 500g mascarpone
- 100g icing sugar
- 120g almond butter
- 280g chocolate hazelnut cream (you can use this recipe replacing the almond for hazelnut)
- Grated coconut for decoration
- Chocolate and hazelnut bonbons
- 120ml fresh whipping cream
- 100g chopped dark chocolate
- A pinch of cinnamon
Preparing the Cocoa Cake
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Grease two baking pans (about 18cm diameter) with butter and sprinkle them with cocoa powder.
- Place the flour, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl and mix well.
- In another bowl, add the eggs, the olive oil, the instant coffee diluted in water and the vanilla and mix well for 3 minutes until you get a homogeneous mixture. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until you get a homogeneous batter. Split the batter between the prepared baking pans and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove and leave to cool for 5 minutes inside the pans. Remove from the pans and leave to cool completely before adding the filling and topping.
Preparing the Filling and Topping
- While the cake is in the oven, prepare the filling and topping. Whip the mascarpone with an electric whisk (or food processor) and gradually add the icing sugar.
- Split this mixture into two parts: 1/3 for the filling and 2/3 for the topping.
- For the filling add the almond butter and mix well.
- For the topping add the hazelnut cream and chocolate and mix well.
Preparing the Chocolate Ganache
- Chop the chocolate with the tip of a knife into small, even pieces. Place in a bowl.
- Add the cream to a small saucepan and bring to the boil to scald it, i.e. before it even starts to boil.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and leave to rest for 1 minute before stirring the mixture until smooth.
- Level the cakes and cut each one in half so you have four layers. Place the first layer on a surface (or the plate where you will serve the cake) and with a piping bag place some of the almond filling in the centre of the cake. Press the second layer of cake on top. Repeat until finishing the top layer.
- Spread the hazelnut topping on the cake (don't forget to fill in the gaps between the layers). Smooth the top with a spatula. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to solidify.
- Before serving, decorate the sides of the cake with grated coconut. If you have any hazelnut topping left, use a piping bag with a flower-shaped nozzle to decorate the top of the cake, place a chocolate and hazelnut bonbon on top and spread the chocolate ganache around the edges so that it runs down the cake.
- Serve with an Adega Mayor sparkling white wine and Open your senses to the Details (available at the Adega Mayor online shop).
Enjoy your meal!